Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Review: SnowShow 2008

SnowShow 2008

Who: The Ting Tings
Jack's Mannequin
Death Cab For a Cutie

When: December 2nd 2008

Where: The Rave

I went to the SnowShow just to see Jack's Mannequin. We missed The Ting Tings because Megan had class and I was late picking her up because of shoveling the snow. It all worked out in the end because the one song we heard from the Ting Tings weren't all that great. Although, what I didn't know is that the Ting Tings are only two people. One on drums and one singing. How much of show can a group put on when most of there stuff is pre-recorded.

After some wait Jack's Mannequin took the stage. I've seen them so many times I've lost count. Andrew puts on an amazing show full of energy and some great dance moves. Show is what I would expect from a Jack's Mannequin show. Andrew does great with all of their songs, and unlike many bands I've seen live he can really pull of the sound of the cd. But, last night just wasn't as great as most Jack's Mannequin shows. The band really did nothing wrong, they were as great as always. The problem is that Jack's Mannequin is very much a summer band. When I think of them it's beaches, sun, and Summerfest. Now it's cold and snow and COLD. Last night I just couldn't get into the show. The band put in a good mix off of Everything in Transit and Glass Passenger. What was missing was the obligatory cover song. Some of my favorite Jack's moments come from their cover songs but no, no cover songs last night. Also, as pointed out by Megan, it's a Christmas show and their where no Christmas songs. If you have a Christmas song you should really play it at a Christmas show.

Jack's Mannequin was done and after waiting 45 minutes for a set change Death Cab came on. I was not one for Death Cab before last night. It was late, it was cold, and Death Cab puts me to sleep. But then the band came out and blew me away. This was not the Death Cab I knew, no they were so much better then I thought of any cd. They came out up tempo, the crowd started to dance, and for someone who was not looking forward to it, this was the best part of the night. I thought I only knew 1 or 2 songs, but somehow I recognized half the set. The band broke out into "I Will Follow You Into The Dark", everyone started to sing, and it was one of the best songs I've heard a band play in a long time. To go into a concert not looking forward to a band and end up falling in love. I think Death Cab ended up doing a pretty fabulous job.

So to wrap of the show, The Ting Tings=don't really know, Jack's Mannequin-good but not for a midwest winter, Death Cab=amazing and a recommendation for anyone.

No comments: